Last updated 9 August 2011
1. THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT
We gather information about users of The Index (Website).
This information includes:
- personal information you provide through voluntary registration or captured during use of the Website (such as your first and last names and email);
- personal information you provide to make any purchase through the Website (such as credit card number, expiry date and authentication codes or related information);
- personal information you provide through any other method (including, but not limited to, correspondence and discussions);
- information we collect by tracking your clicks during your use of the Website, including any content you upload and the content you access; and
- aggregated data, which measures traffic to the Website; and cookies, which are pieces of information transferred to your computer’s hard drive for record keeping (such as your preferences on our Website).
You can choose not to provide the required personal information we request, but that will restrict certain functions of the Website that would otherwise be available to you.
Use of Information
The personal information we collect will only be used for purposes related to the activity you engage in on the Website, unless you otherwise provide us with consent.
Any personal information you provide may be used for the following purposes:
- to send you periodic emails that you have subscribed to through the email address you provided;
- to obtain feedback on an activity you have participated in;
- to contact you as part of the transaction process when purchasing a freight solution
- verification of your identity as a Member of the Website;
- to monitor, develop and improve the Website and ensure that content of the Website is presented in the most effective manner for its users;
- to keep the Website relevant and of interest to its users;
- to investigate any complaints relating to the misuse of the Website, including the customer rating system;
- responding to any queries and/or comments you have sent to The Index or its suppliers through the Website; and
- any other uses that you have authorized.
You will have the option to choose to not receive certain types of email communications from us, except for those that are absolutely necessary to provide you with details of any transactions you have completed.
Emails will always contain a link at the bottom that enables you to remove yourself from our mailing list, and you can also unsubscribe on your account page.
When you are undertaking a transaction we request credit card or other payment account information, details of which are maintained in encrypted form on secure servers. We do not share this information with any third party except for those companies responsible for processing payments for us.
Disclosure of Information
We will only share personal information with other companies or individuals where we have your consent, such as by opting-in to receive communications from third party suppliers in the process of entering into freight solutions.
2. COOKIES AND TRACKING
We may use a cookie file containing information that can identify the computer you are working from. We cannot identify you from the cookie file as it is anonymous: it gives us only details of your IP address, PC platform (e.g. Windows or Mac), Browser (e.g. Internet Explorer, Safari, Firefox or other, plus the version of Browser) and domain (whether you are accessing the Website from within the country or elsewhere). We use the information generated by cookies:
- to track traffic patterns to and from the Website, for example the pages you visit, the time you spend on each page, the date and time of your visit, and referring pages (pages you came from or go to);
- to enable you to enter our Website and use certain services as a Member without having to log on each time, and
- to visit Member-restricted areas of the Website.
3. SUPPLIERS, CONTENT PROVIDERS, ADVERTISERS AND PARTNERS
We do not control the practices of suppliers, content providers, partners and advertisers linked to the Website and to whom you may provide personal information whilst using the Website. Our Website contains links to other sites, which may not follow the same privacy policies as us. We recommend that you check any relevant privacy policies before providing your personal information to any third party.
No data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed completely secure, so we cannot warrant or ensure the security of any information you upload or download through the Website. These activities are conducted at your own risk.
5. UPDATING THE POLICY
We reserve the right to change this policy at any time. When we do so, we will notify members that the policy has been revised by updating the "last updated" date shown. By continuing to use the Website, you agree to be bound by the revised policy. You should check from time to time to whether the policy has changed.
6. HOLDING, CORRECTING AND UPDATING YOUR INFORMATION
Any personal information that you provide to us will be collected and held by us at
The Index Ltd,
Level 3, Building 10
666 Great South Road
Under the Privacy Act 1993 you have the right to access and correct any personal information we hold.
Although The Index takes reasonable steps to ensure that all the data we use is accurate, we depend on our users to update or correct their personal information whenever necessary. We invite users to correct or change their personal information online at any time and as often as they require.
If you have any questions regarding this policy, please contact us.
For information about New Zealand's Privacy Act 1993 and how it protects the personal information of individuals in New Zealand, click here.